Monday, January 18, 2010

God's reward for not killing off your children-Grandkids

The house is quiet and the kids and grandkids have gone home to Chicago. It was a great visit. Saturday, the original plan was to take the kids to the Shoreview Community Center water park for a day of swimming and having fun but Joe was still under the weather so off to the Mall of America we went. The kids enjoyed the rides as grandma and I watched Catherine. It was a great afternoon. We found out that Joe was a little bolder than his older brother. To get to the water slide, you had to walk into a long very dark tunnel. Joe was alright with that but Andrew decided no ride was worth the long dark walk to get to the ride. The rides themselves did not bother the boys at all, even the ones that were designed for teens or adults.

The boys now have a habit of waking me up by getting close to my ear and yelling "Wake up Grandpa." I stay in bed in the morning so they have an opportunity to do their thing. But this trip I found out that my encouraging them to wake me up has a down side. Most of the time, I am awake and make a big production of waking up. My eyes get big: my hands wave around and I act like I am startled. However, the boys caught me taking a cat nap and did the same “Wake up, grandpa” and it was a rude shock to my system to be jolted out of a sound sleep to them yelling in my ear. I guess I reaped the harvest I sowed.

Saturday night the boys and gramps watched a movie as their parents went back to the mall for shopping. We saw “Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.” Unless you are under 6, you’re not missing anything. Andrew on the other hand kept bouncing off the walls in his excitement over the video.

Sunday was Vikings day and Mike purchased all the kids, including little Catherine, Viking logo shirts. I will let Jeanne tell this part of the story when she comes home tonight.

2 comments:

  1. so glad you all had fun together. those grandpa stories will stay with them for years! when they are grown up they will say OHMYGOSH! we used to scream at grandpa WAKE UP! we were so bad! and then their kid will hear and say hey thats a great idea and do it to them. = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps read my newest blog addition
    ourgirlsbyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete